Reading Book Vocabulary Words & Definitions
All the definitions to the vocabulary can be found on the following website:
Akiak Vocabulary Defenitions
Blizzard: n. A very long, heavy snowstorm with strong winds: The blizzard left us with two feet of snow.
Checkpoint: n. A place along a route where a check or count is made: The runners were counted at each checkpoint.
Courageous: adj. Having or showing courage; brave: The courageous policeman saved the child from drowning.
Experienced: adj. Possessing skill or knowledge from having done a particular thing in the past: The experienced workers solved the problem quickly.
Musher: n. The driver of a dog sled team: The musher made sure that the injured dog was treated.
Rugged: adj. Having a rough, uneven surface: The rugged trail was hard to climb.
Akiak Spelling Words
Akiak Challenge Words
Grandfather’s Journey Spelling Words
Grandfather’s Journey Challenge Words
Grandfather’s Journey Vocabulary Terms & Def.
1. Bewildered: v. To puzzle greatly: The city's busy streets bewildered the young boy.
2. Marveled: v. To be filled with surprise, amazement, or wonder: Don marveled at the beautiful waterfall.
3. Homeland: n. The country in which one was born or has lived for a long time: Seema returned to her homeland after many years in a foreign country.
4. Reminded: v. To make someone remember something: The song reminded him of home.
5. Longed: v. To wish or want very much: My mother longed to see her childhood home again.
6. Surrounded: v. To put all around: He surrounded his desk with pictures of his family.
By the Shores of Silver Lakes Voc Words
Conductor: n. The person in charge of a railroad train or subway:
The conductor collected our tickets on the train.
Depot: n. A railroad or bus station:
Because the train was late, we waited at the depot for several hours.
Jolting: v. To move, ride, or cause to move in a jerky way:
The bus was jolting along the bumpy road.
Lurching: adj. Sudden, heavy, unsteady movements to one side or forward:
The lurching boat made Roslyn sway back and forth.
Platform: n. A raised floor or surface, for example, by a track at a train station:
They stood on the platform, waiting for the train.
Satchels: n. A small bag used for carrying books, clothing, or other small items:
The two satchels held all she owned.
By the Shores of Silver Lakes Spelling Words
Cendrillon Voc Terms
1. Crossly: in a grumpy or grouchy way
2. Elegant: marked by good taste; graceful
3. Godmother: a woman who acts as a sponsor at a child’s christening
4. Orphan: a child whose parents are dead
5. Peasant: a poor farm worker
6. Proud: thinking too highly of one’s self
Cendrillons Spelling Terms
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Heat Wave Voc Words
1. Singe: to burn slightly
2. Weather vane: movable pointer that should wind direction
3. Miscalculated: figured incorrectly
4. Temperature: measure of heat or coldness
5. Horizon: the line along which the sun and earth seem to meet
6. Affected: cause a change inHeat Wave Spelling Words
Marven of the Great North Woods Spelling Terms
Marven of the Great North Woods Voc Terms
1. bunkhouse: a building in a camp where a group of people sleep
2. lunberjacks: people who cut down trees and move them to a sawmill
3. cords: measured stacks of cut wood
4. snowshoes: wooden frames with leather strips used for walking over the snow
5. immense: of great size
6. timber: trees that can be used for wood
7. landscape: a stretch of land
8. woodsman: a person who works or lives in the forest
Last Dragon Spelling Terms (WB pg 259)
Last Dragon Voc Terms (wb pg 38)
1. Characters: n. 1. A person or figure in a play: Twanna loved the character of the forgetful mother, but she didn't want to play her on stage. 2. A symbol, such as a letter or number, used in printing or writing: Joe painted red characters on a sign for the Chinese New Year.
2. Crest: n. Something that grows out of an animal's head, such as a cluster of feathers: There was a crest of bright blue feathers on the bird's head.
3. Fierce: adj. Wild and mean; dangerous: The lion sounded fierce when it roared.
4. Homage: n. Special public honor or respect: The crowd paid homage to the famous artist at the awards ceremony..
5. Scales: n. 1. One of the small, thin, flat parts that cover a fish or reptile: The lizard was covered with shiny green scales. 2. An instrument used for weighing: Anton weighed a bunch of bananas on the scale.
6. Snaked: v. To move like a snake: The line of children snaked through the playground.7. Teeming: adj. Full; crowded: The parade moved through the teeming city streets.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTheme 4 Wrap Up Review Spelling Terms
30. ReadyJuan Verdades Voc Terms
1. Foreman: an employee who is in charge of other workers.
2. Pastures: grassy field where animals graze
3. Heartsick: very sad
4. Witnesses: people who see something happen
5. Employer: person who hires others to do work
6. Confidently: in a way that says you believe in yourselfLouis Braille Voc. Terms
1. Pinprick: n. A bump or hole made with a pin: She made a lampshade by filling a piece of construction paper with pinpricks.
2. Patterns: n. A recognizable arrangement or design: The necklace formed a pattern of two red beads followed by three blue beads.
3. Succeeding: v. To accomplish something: I succeeded in running three miles without stopping.
4. Discouraged: v. To make less hopeful or confident: Three losses in a row discouraged everyone on the team.
5. Simplified: v. To make less complicated: You can often simplify a math problem by drawing a picture.
6. Institute: n. A kind of school: Many professional chefs learn to cook at cooking institutes.